Studying in the School of Engineering and Materials Science
Your first step to a dynamic future
The School of Engineering and Materials Science (SEMS) offers a range of degree programmes that can lead to a rewarding and engaging career making a difference to the world around you.
Engineers and material scientists change lives. Globally responsible engineering has the power to drastically alter the planet’s future and innovations in materials science have countless applications impacting almost every facet of daily life.
Our staff are leading the way in fields ranging from sustainable energy to medical innovation: developing technology to better harness energy from waves, repairing fetal membrane defects to reduce preterm births and prevent early deaths of young babies, and pioneering new innovative biomaterials now improving the lives of 100,000s of patients worldwide.
In the most recent national assessment of the quality of university research (REF 2014), SEMS was ranked seventh out of 62 institutions in the area of general engineering. The internationally leading research our academics conduct goes hand in hand with the curriculum we deliver:
- You will be taught by lecturers who are leaders and experts in their fields.
- You will study topics closely related to their internationally recognised research through research-led teaching and a research-informed curriculum.
- You will use our state-of-the-art research facilities to complete your own research project.
Supporting your career aspirations
A degree from Queen Mary will give you excellent career prospects. 92% of all our graduates are in employment or further study within six months of graduating (DLHE Survey 2016/17).
We are one of the 24 UK universities who make up the prestigious Russell Group. Employers often specifically target graduates from these institutions knowing the calibre of education students receive. Graduates from Russell Group universities are shown to earn around 10% more over a lifetime than graduates of other universities.
Queen Mary has a dedicated Careers and Enterprise team who will support you throughout your studies and for two years after you graduate. SEMS holds weekly Careers sessions where you can seek advice on securing employment, writing applications and succeeding in interviews.
Professional Body Accreditation
Some employers recruit preferentially from accredited degrees, and an accredited degree is likely to be recognised by other countries that are signatories to international accords. Our undergraduate degree courses are accredited by the following professional bodies:
- Royal Aeronautical Society
- The Institution of Mechanical Engineers
- The Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining
Closely collaborating with industry
Industrial engagement and partnership is a key feature of all we do in the School of Engineering and Materials Science. The School has excellent links with industry which help us provide placements, shape the content of our programmes, support final-year projects and offer networking opportunities.
We have an Industrial Advisory Board comprising more than 40 members from companies including Jaguar Land Rover, Pfizer and BAE Systems. We also host a biannual Industrial Liaison Forum where students have the unique opportunity to interact with potential employers, industry representatives and alumni working in industry.
Year in Industry
- The majority of our undergraduate programmes can be taken with an Industrial Experience option in which students spend a year working in their chosen industry.
- In the School there is a dedicated Industrial Experience Manager who supports students in locating a suitable placement.
- Whilst this can be a competitive process, recent students have gone on to secure impressive placements at companies including Rolls Royce, Airbus, GSK and Williams F1.
Combining campus and city
Queen Mary doesn’t make you choose: our Mile End location offers you a diverse and welcoming campus community in one of the world’s most exciting and dynamic cities. While you’ll enjoy all the comfort and convenience a self-contained campus provides, you’ll also be well located to take advantage of an incomparable wealth of opportunities on your doorstep, whether cultural, social or professional.
London recently claimed top spot in the QS Best Student Cities List and it’s easy to see why. Learn more about why London could be the right choice for you.